Investigation of DOE Fleet Equipment Repair Costs and Replacement Criteria.
The Division of Equipment’s (DOE) replacement criterion is based on three criteria: age, usage, and repair cost. While age and usage are based on industry standards, repair cost is based on DOE’s internal analysis of the repair cost history for each type of equipment. This practice is being questioned by the Department of Finance (DOF). Caltrans fleet comprises of over 12,000 pieces of equipment ranging from passenger vehicles to off-road construction equipment. Some equipment is used daily, while other equipment may have infrequent use in highly specialized, infrequent tasks (emergency response). The DOE is required to determine when a specific piece of equipment is no longer economical to maintain and would be beneficial to procure a replacement. This proposal details a review and evaluation of existing Fleet Replacement Models (FRMs) utilized in other state departments of transportation (DOTs) and comparable fleet operations. Available FRMs will be procured and prepared for analysis. The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) fleet parameters will be evaluated within available FRMs to compare and contrast operations with similar fleets. This cost analysis will address numerous measures of effectiveness and provide Caltrans an appropriate tool to address equipment management decisions. During the analysis process, potential improvements and enhancements will be identified and collaboratively discussed with the sponsor. A Caltrans tailored FRM will be created with parameters representative of cumulative costs and operations associated with the Caltrans fleet.
- Contract to a Performing Organization has not yet been awarded.
- Status: Active
- Sponsor Organizations:
- Start Date: 20150401
- Expected Completion Date: 20170331
- Actual Completion Date: 0
- TRT Terms: Construction equipment; Repairing; Service life; Vehicle fleets; Vehicle maintenance
- Identifier Terms: California Department of Transportation
- Subject Areas: Construction; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 01620504
- Record Type: Research project
- Source Agency: California Department of Transportation
- Files: RiP, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jan 4 2017 10:52AM