Developing a Life Cycle Cost Analysis for Fish Passage Retrofit Projects and Structures
This task will compare the life cycle costs of west coast bridges, hydraulically designed culverts, and stream simulation culvert designs and develop a life cycle cost analysis methodology. The relative success and efficiency of fish passage culvert retrofit projects (e.g. baffles, weirs, fish ladders and roughened channels) at improving fish passage are not well studied or documented in California. More cost and field analyses are needed to show the initial and long-term costs (construction, maintenance and operational costs) of fish passage projects and overall effectiveness of fish passage remediation projects. In addition, there is not enough information on the costs and benefits of providing opportunities for including terrestrial wildlife connectivity solutions, as part of the final solution at known fish barrier locations. California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) requires reliable economic analyses that evaluate the overall cost of fish passage retrofit projects in comparison to full remediation passage design solutions, such as a span bridge to resolve damage, cleaning and deficiencies; (1) Develop a full economic analysis that quantifies the total cost of constructing and maintaining transportation projects for fish; (2) Contact research entities and western state departments of transportation (DOTs) for updated information and available data on life cycle costs analyses; (3) Develop field studies and collect field data of completed and proposed fish passage projects in California on overall effectiveness of remediating fish and wildlife passage; (4) Develop an economic analysis in consideration of including wildlife passage elements (e.g. fully spanning river channels, funnel fencing, etc.), in final solutions for fish passage remediation projects; and (5) Benefits to wildlife and safety.
- Contract to a Performing Organization has not yet been awarded.
- Status: Active
- Sponsor Organizations:
- Start Date: 20160421
- Expected Completion Date: 20191231
- Actual Completion Date: 0
- TRT Terms: Culverts; Fish ladders; Highway bridges; Life cycle analysis; Life cycle costing; Wildlife crossings
- Identifier Terms: California Department of Transportation
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Environment; Highways;
- Accession Number: 01620486
- Record Type: Research project
- Source Agency: California Department of Transportation
- Files: RiP, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jan 4 2017 10:52AM