Develop a Plan to Collect Bicycle Infrastructure and Volume Data for Future Incorporation into TASAS-TSN
This proposed study will be to focus on bicycle infrastructure and volume data represented in the state's highway data systems to allow for systematic analysis of multimodal considerations across all of California's state highways. This task will identify a set of attributes that are relevant given the current bicycle facility design and bicycle safety concerns along the state-highway system and to determine a means of representing these elements in the database. Additionally, the proposed database will be tested on a section of state highways in one California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) district to ensure that the data can feasibly be collected and to estimate how long it might take to collect this data. The existing Caltrans Traffic Accident Surveillance and Analysis System-Transportation Systems Network (TASAS-TSN) highway database does not include any pedestrian or bicycle infrastructure data, nor any volume data for these modes. However, a number or highways statewide include facilities for pedestrians and bicyclists. Caltrans DD-64-R1 mandates that the Department “views all transportation improvements as opportunities to improve safety, access, and mobility for all travelers in California and recognizes bicycle, pedestrian, and transit modes as integral elements of the transportation system.” Caltrans’ information systems should reflect this.
- Contract to a Performing Organization has not yet been awarded.
- Status: Active
- Sponsor Organizations:
- Start Date: 20150501
- Expected Completion Date: 20160630
- Actual Completion Date: 0
- TRT Terms: Bicycle facilities; Bicycles; Bicycling; Data collection; Databases; Traffic surveillance; Traffic volume
- Identifier Terms: California Department of Transportation
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Operations and Traffic Management; Pedestrians and Bicyclists; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 01620482
- Record Type: Research project
- Source Agency: California Department of Transportation
- Files: RIP, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jan 4 2017 10:52AM