Analysis of Fleet In-House Assembly to Purchasing Completed Equipment from Vendors.
Review of Division of Equipment (DOE) procurement & production methods are needed to compare the cost effectiveness of utilizing state forces to assemble completed equipment versus purchasing completed equipment from a vendor. Currently, DOE utilizes a variety of methods to produce and procure equipment. The DOE purchases some pieces of equipment as turnkey products from manufacturers (such as passenger cars) and build some other equipment by itself, such as a highly specialized equipment that is not available in the market. In some cases, DOE purchases base equipment from manufacturers and outfits additional tools or modify the equipment to meet the specific needs. The decision of which production or procurement method is to be used for a specific piece of equipment depends on a variety of factors such as technical, fiscal, legal and political. Other State Department of Transportation's (DOTs) also acquire, maintain, and deploy similar types of equipment as California Department of Transportation (Caltrans), where each state DOT employs certain practices to the production and procurement of its equipment. Some of these practices may be similar to those employed by Caltrans while others may be different. It is desirable to understand the equipment production and procurement practices currently used by other state DOTs so that Caltrans may improve its decision process regarding equipment production and procurement.
- Contract to a Performing Organization has not yet been awarded.
- Status: Active
- Sponsor Organizations:
- Start Date: 20140110
- Expected Completion Date: 20160831
- Actual Completion Date: 0
- TRT Terms: Equipment; Procurement; Purchasing; State departments of transportation; State of the practice
- Identifier Terms: California Department of Transportation
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 01620027
- Record Type: Research project
- Source Agency: California Department of Transportation
- Files: RIP, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Dec 28 2016 11:39AM