AASHTO Rep to SAE DSRC Technical Committee
In 2004, the United States Department of Transportation (USDOT) selected the standards development organization Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) to develop standards for the message sets to be used by applications for dedicated short range communications (DSRC), now a part of the Connected Vehicle initiative. Volunteers from industry, academia, and the public sector work on developing the language and technology for the standards. American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) asked Caltrans to provide a public sector member for the SAE Dedicated Short Range Communications (DSRC) Technical committee. Caltrans sent a planner to provide support for early identification and development of use cases, then an intelligent transportation engineering expert was sent when the technical standards were being fleshed out. As well as providing traffic engineering subject matter expertise, Caltrans provides critical representation for the public on the industry dominated committee by working cooperatively with the committee members and other subject matter experts to make sure that the standards meet AASHTO needs and that the standards developed by IEEE and SAE work together as a complete system.
- Contract to a Performing Organization has not yet been awarded.
- Status: Active
- Sponsor Organizations:
- Start Date: 20070201
- Expected Completion Date: 20160722
- Actual Completion Date: 0
- TRT Terms: Dedicated short range communications; Intelligent transportation systems; Mobile communication systems; Standards; Traffic engineering
- Identifier Terms: American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials; California Department of Transportation; Society of Automotive Engineers
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 01620024
- Record Type: Research project
- Source Agency: California Department of Transportation
- Files: RIP, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Dec 28 2016 11:39AM