Strategies for PUblic TraNsport In Cities
Local and regional public transport systems are facing many challenges, which include the emergence of a competitive environment, changing institutional frameworks and increasingly scarce financial resources. The project Strategies for Public Transport in Cities (SPUTNIC) will help public transport (PT) actors and decision makers to shape PT into an attractive and efficient mode of urban transport. The objectives of SPUTNIC are to: support key stakeholders in anticipating and preparing for emerging challenges in the field of urban mobility; provide an updated overview of state of the art knowledge and research results in the area of urban mobility and public transport; collect available best practices and assess their transferability to enable sector-internal learning from advanced experience; present specific guidelines and tools to benefit from best practices identified throughout European regions and cities; provide an opportunity for PT professionals to update their existing knowledge with latest research results and advanced practical solutions; offer a platform for discussion and exchange of experiences amongst public transport professionals in Europe; disseminate widely the key project outputs amongst public transport stakeholders both in EU and candidate countries. SPUTNIC will help to increase the growth and competitiveness in the PT sector. Good practice and policy recommendations to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of PT systems and services will make PT more attractive and customer oriented. This in turn, will help to achieve a modal split in favor of sustainable development, notably in terms of reduction of externalities and congestion. More attractive and competitive PT will also have positive impacts on economy, employment, safety and security.
- Record URL:
- Research institutions undertaking the sub-projects: Union Internationale Des Transports Publics (UITP), Centre d'Etude et de Recherche en Transports Urbains, Ferrocarril Metropolita de Barcelona S.A, IFTEC GmbH & Co. KG, Imago Opleiding & Training BV, Miejskie Przedsiebiorstwo Komunikacyne SA in Krakow, Rapp Trans AG, S2R Consulting GmbH, Socialdata Institut Fur Verkehrs- Und Infrastukturforschung GmbH, Statens Väg- Och Transportforskningsinstitut, The Regional Environmental Center for Central and Eastern Europe, Transmart Consulting SA, TUV Rheinland Consulting GmbH, TUV Rheinland InterTraffic GmbH, Verkehrsverbund Oberelbe GmbH, and WIENER LINIEN GMBH &CO KG.
- Status: Active
Sustainable Surface Transport6th RTD Framework Programme
- Start Date: 20060701
- Actual Completion Date: 20090131
- Source Data: RiP Project 25419
- TRT Terms: Best practices; Competition; Decision making; Mobility; Public transit; Strategic planning; Transit operating agencies
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 01461637
- Record Type: Research project
- Source Agency: Transport Research Knowledge Centre
- Files: RiP
- Created Date: Jan 3 2013 1:49PM