Development of New Magnesium Forming Technologies for the Aeronautics Industry
The purpose of MagForming is to advance the state of the art in the technology of plastic processing of wrought magnesium alloys for aeronautical applications, by developing tools and methodologies for industrial technologies and show their feasibility in Aeronautics. The measure for attaining the objective will be the fabrication of seven (7) prototypes, one for each of the technologies. The most important advances of using wrought magnesium shapes have been achieved in the automotive industry. Most projects were focused on cast alloys and methodologies. Out of the few projects dealing with wrought magnesium only AEROMAG, of FP6 is explicitly concerned with aeronautic applications. It is evident from current research that the products currently achieved by forming processes of aluminum could be produced by upgraded processes of magnesium, but in a completely different domain of parameters. To date, none of the prototypes mentioned above have been manufactured with magnesium alloys. The consequences of successful completion of MagForming will be: in aeronautics (decrease of weight of aircraft) in the environment (less fuel consumed) and in metallurgy (development of new processes). MagForming is a European scale project because the problem is of European scale and the solutions are of European scale: the required expertise cannot be found in one country. The well-balanced and complementary consortium consists of four SMEs, two Universities, one research organization, three major aerospace companies, one major magnesium developer and supplier and one lubricant developer and supplier.
- Record URL:
- Research institutions undertaking the sub-projects: Univerzita Karlova v Praze, Liebherr Aerospace Toulouse S.A.S., Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Universitaet Hannover, Chemetall GmbH, Airbus Deutschland GmbH, EADS Deutschland GmbH, Palbam Metal Works, Alubin Ltd., Israel Aircraft Industries Ltd., Ultratech Spolka z Organiczona Odpowiedzialnoscia, SMW Engineering Ltd., and Magnesium Elektron a Division of Magnesium Elektron Limited.
- Status: Active
Aeronautics and Space - Priority Thematic Area 4 (PTA4)6th RTD Framework Programme
- Start Date: 20060801
- Actual Completion Date: 20090331
- Source Data: RiP Project 25515
- TRT Terms: Aeronautical engineering; Air transportation facilities; Alloys; Fuel conservation; Fuel consumption; Magnesium; Technological innovations
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Design; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 01461614
- Record Type: Research project
- Source Agency: Transport Research Knowledge Centre
- Files: RiP
- Created Date: Jan 3 2013 1:49PM