DIsmantling and RECycling Techniques for Road MATerials (DIRECT-MAT)
The greening of surface transport calls for a well-defined European strategy covering the full life cycle of road pavements. This should address issues of construction and maintenance and extend through to the end of the life cycle, via total or partial recycling and/or safe disposal. At present, many European countries have acquired experience in dismantling and recycling road materials back into roads. However, research results are not widely implemented and national documents are not often available to specialists from other countries. The DIRECT-MAT project aims to facilitate the sharing of national experiences on dismantling and recycling or safe disposal of road materials through the building of a European Web database and the drafting of Best Practice guides. Several materials are addressed - Unbound, Hydraulically bound and Asphalt road materials, but also Other materials related to road use but not commonly recycled in road construction. These include tire shreds, sediment from ditches, industrial by-products and reinforcement materials. The work program will be organized into seven work packages where four packages focus on the various construction materials (unbound, hydraulically bound, asphalt and other), one is devoted to the database and the remaining two work packages to management & coordination and dissemination. The DIRECT-MAT Web database will provide on-line access to: validated guidelines, national document references, harmonized literature reviews and practical application case studies based on jobsite data sets. Special care will be taken to reach end users at the national level and generate closer cooperation between research and practice. This is to be achieved through: cooperation with a stakeholders' panel consisting of potential end users in several countries; articles in national journals; presentations at national seminars and arrangement of a European workshop for end users in 2011.
- Research institutions undertaking the sub-projects: BRRC, Belgium; CDV, Czech Republic; CEDEX, Spain; DRI, Denmark; IBDiM, Poland; IP, Serbia; KTI, Hungary; LCPC, France; LNEC, Portugal; VTI, Sweden; ZAG, Slovenia; UCD, Ireland; VOEZ, Austria; TUD, Germany; TUBS/ISBS, Germany; SGI, Sweden; Recipav/Recipneu, Portugal; INSA Strassbourg, France; and BRBS, The Netherlands.
- Status: Active
- Start Date: 20090101
- Actual Completion Date: 20111231
- Source Data: RiP Project 25833
- TRT Terms: Building materials; Ground transportation; Life cycle analysis; Materials; Pavement performance; Paving; Recycled materials; Road construction; Stripping (Pavements)
- Identifier Terms: European Union
- Subject Areas: Pavements; I15: Environment; I30: Materials;
- Accession Number: 01461567
- Record Type: Research project
- Source Agency: Forum of European National Highway Research Laboratories (FEHRL)
- Files: RiP
- Created Date: Jan 3 2013 1:48PM